Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Somewhat Oldie but a Goodie: And the Owl Goes

People must do a ton of searches for snow owls because this post from my short lived first blog has garnered the most views.  Decided to bring him on over to the new one slightly edited.  Eventually, I'll delete my old blog, but for now I'm going to bring over two or three of my favorites in order to fill up some space since the husband and I are going to be way busy over the next month putting in our backyard so I'll be posting even less than I already do.  IF that's even possible. 

And the Owl Goes.....

Another painting project?  Yes, and it's awesome so deal with it.  While perusing the aisle at Hobby Lobby during one of their big clearance sales I came across this fat little gentlemen.


With only one and a half eyes, how could I resist?  This is one of the most odd planters I have come across.  His body had a porcelain like finish with that flowery curly cue pattern but his eyes and feet looked like someone had smeared brown and green paint on them.  It is pretty ridiculous to look at in real life.  But the shape of him had so much potential I had to snag him.   


First I made him a lovely little cardboard perch and then went to work with some spray paint.  Next, after many, many, many thin coats of white spray paint I was finally able to cover up that extremely persistent and therefore annoying blue flower pattern which resulted in a nice clean white owl planter.
 

I was half tempted to stop at this point and leave it white but I figured if I didn't like it with the colors I had planned on adding I could always just spray paint it white again.  That's why spray paint is so awesome.  The plan was to color his eyes, beak and feet with black paint and use blue to fill in the space around his eyes.  Why those colors you ask?  Mostly because I thought it would look nice and was partially inspired by this actual owl.

Not sure what he's looking at but I'm pretty sure he wants to eat its face.

Also, I already had blue spray paint and a tube of black acrylic.  Yep, decorating inspiration can come from many places including feelings of laziness and not wanting to spend money.  In order to add the blue spray paint, I had to section off the eye area so as to not ruin the rest of the now perfectly white body.  To achieve this I had to concoct a tape and Sunday comics mask.    

He could totally be a crime fighter


Featured in the background:  Our lovely, soon to be gone, dirt yard.

 

A few more thin coats of spray paint and the careful removal of the tape we have blue eyed perfection.

Is it weird that his eyes now match our great room?
The next step was to add some black paint to the eyes, beak, and feet so that he no longer had that creepy dead blue eyed stare.  Using a small paint brush and a mostly steady hand, I added black acrylic paint to the eyes, beak, and feet to add some more definition and a bit of personality.   


I think this planter turned out pretty adorable.  Now I just need to figure out what kind of plant needs to call him home.


**Update**

So, instead of getting a plant for my owl planter I decided to use him for something a bit more practical.  Turns out he was the perfect size to house all of my contact paper, cellophane wrapping, sign vinyl, and other vaious tube shaped items.  Much better than my previous storage solution for all this stuff which was leaning everything precariously in a corner of the closet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment