Tuesday, August 21, 2012

With nasty, big, pointy teeth...

Shortly after moving into our new home, the husband and I quickly accepted that we were the weirdos of our suburban, model home filled neighborhood.  A self-appointed title we hold with pride.  We were obviously the youngest couple, the only house without at least two kids running around (FYI: we're currently at two cats and very happy), and oh yea, we have undead gnomes wandering through our backyard.

They're protecting our tiny maple tree
The little guy on the right was a housewarming present from friends whereas the taller gentleman started off as a regular stone gnome that my friend Amanda then transformed into this ridiculously amazing zombie with an affinity for eyeballs.  Given the style of our yard so far, when my mother-in-law dropped off a stone bun bun decoration (yep, bunnies = bun bun), I knew he’d require a personal spin before he could start pal’ in around with the undead.

My original plan was to paint this rabbit to look like Bunnicula whose books I loved reading as a kid.  However, the husband said that not everyone would, “Get it” since, in truth, it would really just be a black and white bunny with red eyes and suggested we go with some a little more recognizable.  After this conversation, I realized I was at the age where the generation below me probably doesn’t even know who Bunnicula is which made me sad and feel old and I may have taken my sorrow out on some zucchini bread which I convinced myself was perfectly healthy because the vegetable cancels out any sugar or other terrible things in it.  Did I mention it has walnuts?  That makes it crazy healthy.  True story.        

Anyways, after my stomach stopped hurting which probably had nothing to do with the large amounts of consumed zuchinni bread, I went to work on transforming this little guy into something a little more our style.
 
Look at his face, he can sense the changes coming
Take one regular stone bunny decoration and spray paint him white.  If done on a ridiculously bright 100+ degree day, avoid looking directly at the white bunny while he's sitting in the sun.  Getting snowblindness during the summer is disconcerting.


Add a little life to his eyes by adding some black acrylic paint. 


Next step is to cute him up a bit with some pink paint added to the ears and nose.


Finally, smear/dab various shades of blood red paint to his face so that all the knights who try to pillage my yard will have his great big, pointy teeth (not pictured) to contend with.  Also, to make sure the blood of his fallen enemies stays fresh looking, I finished the killer bun bun's make-over by spraying him with a few layers of clear sealant. 


Here he is hanging out with our growing zombie hoard.


Isn't he the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on?  This won't be his permanent spot in our backyard as we still have a ton of work to do back there obviously so he'll leap about a bit.  Eventually, I might rustle up some kind of cave for him to lurk in where he can pounce on unsuspecting victims.  Afterall, he’s just a harmless little bunny. If you don't understand where the origins of this killer bun bun stem from, then I'm not sure we can be friends.  Or you could do yourself a favor and watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail and then maybe we'll have a chance.    

I don't know if our neighborhood has one of those fancy "Best Yard Ever" awards but, if so, I think we're a shoe-in.    

3 comments:

  1. Bwaahahaaaa! I love the killer rabbit!

    Quite possible the best movie ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Micah! I totally agree, that movie is genius which is why I felt compelled to celebrate one of my favorite scenes with a backyard decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a job for the holy hand grenade.

    ReplyDelete