Monday, May 20, 2013

Outdoor pot makeover and then a makeover-makeover


In an effort to clean out the garage because it's a mess and we'll never be able to fit a ping-pong table in there at this point, I dragged out a few pots to utilize on the back porch.  


The current colors on the pots weren't working for me so I decided to spray paint everything so they would match.  First, the pots were sprayed slate gray with a flat finish.  Oh yea, you may have noticed that one of the pots is missing from the below picture.  After I snapped the above photo of the five pots, I discovered the small blue/white pot had a crack in it.  Shortly after this discovery, Norman knocked it over and broke it into a bunch of pieces thus ruining any hope I had of still using it despite the aforementioned crack.  So, there's my story.


Once they were good and gray, I used masking tape and newspaper to block off the top half of each pot.  Next, the lower half of the pots were sprayed neon orange with a glossy finish.


After a few hours, the newspaper and masking tape was removed and my pots looked like this.  In other words, they looked awesome.


After five seconds consideration, I decided to use this guy inside the house so I could add another plant to my kitchen.  I love the pop of orange against the blue walls.  Oh, what's that?  You're wondering what's to the right of the plant?


Oh yea, it's totally a Lego pirate ship.  That's how we decorate.  


For the pots that were remaining outside, I didn't go into this project with an idea of what I would plant in these so after wandering aimlessly through a nursery, I ended up with lavender for the larger pot and lemon balm seeds that I'll attempt to grow in the two smaller pots.  I'd never heard of lemon balm before but it looks like a mint plant and the packaging informs me that the leaves will taste great in tea so I was convinced to try them out.    


Little tip, along with being pretty and smelling nice, lavender is also a natural mosquito repellent.  During the hotter months, I turn into a walking mosquito bite.  It is not pleasant.  Hopefully, having a lavender plant on the porch will help me change that a bit.  At least I'll be safe in my own backyard.  Other plants that repel mosquitos are catmint, lemon grass (also called citronella), and marigolds.         


Remember how I decided to use one of the pots in my kitchen?  It was next to a sweet Lego pirate ship.  Yea, I just wrote about it a few pictures up.  I decided the orange looked so great the entire pot should be orange.  So that's what I did. 


Any outdoor decorating going on in your neck of the woods?  The To Do list at our house just got way longer thanks to the return of the hubs and mine joint birthday BBQ coming in July.  Such as the walls pictured above will be a different color after this coming weekend.  Some gallery shelves will be built.  Planting in the front yard.  The tasks seem endless and I cannot wait!   

No comments:

Post a Comment