Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lego Simpsons Shadow Box

In the midst of another cleaning session of the craft room (we recently acquired a king size bed so our old queen needed some space made for it thusly turning my craft room into a craft/guest room or as I prefer to call it my craft/napping room) I whipped up a quick present for my Simpsons/Lego crazy husband.  

After digging though my closet, I found this shadow box frame.  I don't really know where I got this from....but that happens a lot with the stuff I find in my craft closet.  


As you might have deduced from the title of this post, I recreated the Simpsons family out of Legos and put it in a shadow box. The minimalist Lego Simpsons idea originally came from here.  Luckily, we have an outrageous amount of Legos hanging around the house.  Seriously, ridiculous.  The husband's mom is an avid garage saler so she snagged bins and bins of Legos for us for a song.  After a few minutes, I had put my new little Simpsons family together.     


Since the inspirational beach backing that was originally in my shadow frame would make an unarguably odd background, I opted for this fake leather like material.  I thought something neutral that still had a bit of texture to it would help make the Legos pop out a bit more.  


Once the backing of the frame was removed and poetry removed, my fabric just had to be cut to size and glued on.  Easy peasy.  


Next step was gluing the Legos to the fabric using the glue gun once again.


A few minutes later, once the glue had dried, I reassembled my shadow box and was rewarded with this cool art piece.  Well, the husband was rewarded with it technically since I made it as a present for him.  But still, super cool spur of the moment craft.


No comments:

Post a Comment